Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spinning


Hello everyone,
Yep that's me spinning. Thanks for the photos Frankie!
Spinning isn't to hard really. I did a lot of annealing and I didn't loose one piece. Using 16 gage sheet was a good plan because the lips on each one still look really nice and didn't seem to thin out much, if at all. the 18gage goblets did seem to get a little thinner then I'd like them to be, but I'm going to correct that with a nice wire lip.
My plan...
6 goblets, each representing a person in my immediate family. Because the goblets are virtually identical (well 4 are the same and 2 have a different shape all together but are identical to each other) turning an individual stem will make each one have it's own personality.
the stems will then be connected to black latex tubing and connected in the middle with some new element. Something I'll most likely turn on the lath as well.
Issues: not sure how this connection should look. I see them hanging downward, so i'd like some kind of hook. However, a hub where all the tubes connect could keep thewhole piece weighted to a specific spot. But no matter what, it needs to be beautiful yet subtle. I don't want it to be distracting. Perhaps a heavy weighted object (half sphere?) with some sort of prongs for the tubing to rest on. it's just that it wouldnt hang very nicely then. Maybe I need to abandon the image I have of them dangeling.... but that's hard.
I don't know yet. Any ideas are welcomed.
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment