Sunday, September 20, 2009

An Industrial Process




" These forms would be impossible to create by traditional manufacturing methods."
http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/


I thought this would be a good example of using an industrial process to make individual objects.

How these are made is very interesting, and I'm not sure if I totally understand what they are doing.
They created interactive software to morph, twist, and subdivide each design transforming a simple mesh to a complex patterned structure. The final designs are built up layer by layer in durable nylon plastic using Selective Laser Sintering, a kind of 3D printing. They also have forms coated in silver.

To me these are really inviting, and look like they would be squishy and fun to play with. I've always been interested in patterns that represent body systems, and so naturally I'm attracted to this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment