Sunday, September 20, 2009

Inspiration












Renee Zettle-Sterling
Material/Immaterial (Orange/White)

In this body of work the wearer is given the opportunity to capture their breath, and see it take the form of on object. The balloon references childhood and the simple delights a children enjoy. She is suggesting a connection between relationship and experience, and our dependency on objects as simulators of memory.


There are a number of reasons that this study appeals to me. At first glance I was drawn to the colors and the framing of the balloons. Once the balloons are blown up they create these amazing organic shapes. Being the fidgety person that I am, I could really enjoy interacting with this necklace.
After further investigation of her series, I found that it is in fact the reference to childhood and playfulness that I am drawn to. These pieces make me smile. It seems like this delicate balloon is protected by these frames. Yet when they blow up, they expand far past the frames and become fragile and vulnerable. I really enjoy this dichotomy.



No comments:

Post a Comment